Monday, August 22, 2011

Hair Talk Volume III

A balance between having an attractive style and keeping hair healthy is a battle for most of us with kinky, knappy, tightly curled hair. This is the #1 reason most of us have a hard time growing our hair past shoulder length without thinning and breakage.

I know it seems our hair is tough and strong, but each strand in our hair is actually quite fragile. Every twist and bend is potentially a place for breakage and weakness.

Balancing attractive and healthy hair comes down to finding 2 or 3 styles that don't require flat ironing all of your hair. I alternate between full head weaves, half head weaves and box braids. This rotation keeps me from getting bored and also gives my hair time to rest from flat ironing the perimeter of my hair.

I believe braids with synthetic hair can be OK...if left in for 1 month at the MOST.....but I have found my split ends double after removing the braids. This may not be the case for everyone, but the next time you get your braids done, be mindful of whether your hair is in better or worse condition after you remove them. You just mioght find the synthetic hair is causing you more problems then helping. My theory is the synthetic hair cuts through your own hair, splitting the fiber and making more weak spots along your strands.

So ladies, the point is, if you are looking to grow you hair out longer then its ever been, or to get a nice head of hair to start. You probably wont be able to:

- color your hair

- Use your flat iron, pressing comb, blow dryer (on high heat) more then a few times a year. You read that correctly, a few times a year.

- constantly touching up your edges with the presing comb (that will just leave you with NO edges after a while.

Use your hair goals as ammunition to accomplish other goals you have been meaning to achieve. My hair goals made me realize where my passion lies and also that i'm not as much of a procrasinator as I thought :0)

Until next time,
Tanisha
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment