Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hair Grease- Friend or Foe?

Photobucket

It was a typical Saturday afternoon, me and a friend were looking for a Baja Fresh in The City (chicken burrito enchilada style, babyyyyyyyyy). My hair was looking super cute, long with a side part, jet black yaki perm texture weave (for beauty supply hair, it has superb blend-ability for straightened natural textures my friends). It was late august and I was struggling to keep my leave out hair as smooth as the weave with a soft boars head brush. Struggle indeed. I was in the mirror every few hours maintaining.

When I got home, I was completely frustrated with the state of my hair, my hair had soaked up the humidity, and was now looking a bit crazy.....I began silently ranting to myself "how can I stop this poofiness without burning the heck out of my hair flat ironing every day?!" "I want my hair to look crisp like I just came from the salon everyday! This is unfair"...... and then, I had an epiphany. Hair grease blocks out moisture.... wonder if it would keep my leave-out hair water proof.....And that's the last time i've ever had a problem with seamlessly blending my natural, flat ironed hair with straight weave,

The things you've heard about mineral oil are true:

"mineral oil will stop your hair from absorbing moisture"

"mineral oil is a cheap filler that will damage your hair strands"

"mineral oil dries our hair out and leaves it brittle."

However it's not what you use, but how you use it. Mineral oil is basically ultra refined petroleum jelly (i.e. - Vaseline). It's derived from the process that gets us the oil we gas up our cars with. This information may make the product seem crude, but you'd be surprised to know where some cosmetic ingredients are derived from.


Mineral oil based products are the ULTIMATE moisture blocker.


The problems come when you leave this stuff in your hair for long periods of time without shampooing. This is where I got into trouble in the past, washing my hair once a month was causing my mineral oil coated hair strands to totally dry out.

I'm not toting mineral oil as a miracle product, but from my experience, if used properly it will help naturals blend their hair with weaves, and makes hair stay straighter longer.


xoxo
Tanisha

No comments:

Post a Comment